Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin, has died after being struck by a stingray barb in Queensland.
Mr Irwin, 44, died after the stingray barb went through his chest while he was shooting a documentary off Port Douglas. The Queensland Police Service has confirmed Mr Irwin's death.
In a statement, it said Mr Irwin collapsed after being stung by a sting ray at Batt Reef, off Port Douglas, about 11am. After being struck, Mr Irwin's crew called for medical treatment and the Emergency Management Queensland Helicopter responded, but he was dead before the treatment arrived.
The statement said Mr Irwin's family has been advised.
His American-born wife Terri is reported to be trekking on Cradle Mountain in Tasmania. A spokesman for the Queensland Ambulance Service said officers attended the scene on Low Isles via helicopter at 12.04pm today and arrived back in Cairns at 12.53pm.
"The area it was delivered to was the problem. A sting ray hit to the chest is a big problem," he said.
Victoria Brims, a marine life expert from Oceanworld in Sydney, said the stingray that killed Irwin was most likely provoked.
"For the most part people get stung on the foot when they accidentally tread on a ray and this can be no worse than a bacterial infection," Ms Brims said. "Their barbs are very strong and release poison if touched. It must have got him right near the heart but the barb would not have gone through his chest."
u know, i liked watching his shows. and how ironic that he worked with (struggled and wrestled too?) and yet was so suay to be killed this way? but respect for him and his dedication to his work and animals, otherwise more crocs would have ended up being bags or belts or shoes.
anyway, another bit of trivia. did u know that on 24th June 2006, one of the oldest turtles living in Steve Irwin's Australia Zoo, died of heart failure? The turtle, Harriet, was 176 years old and was considered part of Irwin's family. Harriet was thought to have belonged to Charles Darwin. (how cool!)
But as with all celeb deaths (and maybe everything else), we always say how sad and wat a waste it is, tat the person died, tat it was untimely and all tat. amazing considering we hardly know the person. I mean, we see obituaries all the time in the papers, but I don't really feel tat sad when I see their pics. But yet I feel sorry for this tv personality I also have never met before. Maybe cos I've read or seen his accomplishments. But who am I to decide tat his achievements are better or more important than other ppl who die each day? Such tat I feel sad for him and not for the other strangers in the papers?
Bah I'm rambling again. I shld get more sleep. zzzzzzz